Man Hospitalized After Drinking Herbal Tea Made From Licorice Root

A man was hospitalized after drinking licorice tea according to researchers, who warn that some herbal products can be harmful.

The unnamed 84-year-old man visited the emergency department because his systolic blood pressure (the pressure when the heart pushes out blood) was abnormally high between 180 and 210 mmHg. A normal measure is 90 to 120 mmHg. He was also suffering from a headache, discomfort when he looked at light, chest pain, fatigue and fluid retention in his calves, according to the case study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. Medics found he also had volume overload, where too much blood is in one of the chambers in the heart.

The man had existing conditions including long-term high blood pressure, a history of coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes. During the patient’s assessment, he told doctors he had drank one to two glasses of homemade tea

... read more at: https://www.newsweek.com/man-ended-er-after-eating-tea-made-licorice-root-1435110

Leave a Reply