Virginia woman dies from rabies after dog bite in India

A Virginia woman died of rabies after being bitten by a dog infected with the virus in India, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed. It happened last spring, after the 65-year-old returned home from an extended stay in India for a yoga retreat. 

She’s the ninth U.S. resident to die of rabies after being exposed to the disease while traveling abroad since 2008, according to the CDC.

In a case study published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), doctors said the woman first began experiencing symptoms on May 3, 2017. She reported pain and a tingling sensation in her right arm while gardening. Three days later she went to an urgent care facility where she was misdiagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome.

The next day, her symptoms worsened and she was hospitalized with shortness of breath, anxiety, insomnia, and difficulty

... read more at: