You really can have too much of a good thing. Case in point: The niacin, aka vitamin B3, in energy drinks could lead to acute hepatitis.
On Tuesday, a case study published in the British Journal of Medicine revealed that a previously healthy man in his 50s contracted hepatitis after he went HAM on energy drinks.
The man worked as a construction worker and, to keep up with his demanding job, began chugging four to five energy drinks per day for roughly three weeks. He entered the hospital for abdominal pain, vomiting, dark urine and scleral icterus (his eyes had turned yellow).
Doctors determined that the man had contracted acute hepatitis, and, since he was “previously healthy” and did not report any blood transfusions or “high risk” sexual behavior, they blamed the hepatitis on the man’s